Monday, December 7, 2015

Le Morte D'Arthur - Myths, Legends and Fantastical Tales



I found these two books in an Antiquarian bookstore in Austin Tx. 12th Street Books it is called. Published in 1903. To me these are amazing. Over 100 years old. King Arthur is by far one of the most endearing fantasies of all times. I daresay most everyone in Europe and the continental U.S. knows of King Arthur and who isn't enchanted by Merlin?



This is a book I found at a garage sale for $3.00. It is one of a trilogy. It is one my favorite Arthurian series, I am currently re-reading this series, as I do every fall/winter. The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. When I sit down to read, I am taken back to dark age Britain where my friend Derfel Cadarn, Derfel the Mighty is telling me about the deeds and misdeeds of his Lord. King Arthur. I have read these books many times. They still hold my attention. They still draw me in and evoke emotion. It is the legend that draws me. It is Arthur.

On my desk sits this little pewter figurine.


This is the Lady of the Lake holding that sword of legend, Excalibur!


How does a legend such as this remain? There are many legends and myths, but Arthur's lives on. Why? I believe it is because of the ideals that Arthur stands for. We innately want those ideals in our lives. At least, I believe most of us do. In the movie Excalibur when Arthur tells Lancelot "You are what is best in men." That, I believe, is what we want said of us by a person who holds those same ideals.

What legends, myths, or stories draw you in, take you to another world and evoke emotion for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment